Girls in the project FLORIKA wearing dresses they themselves produced in their sewing classes.
Photo: © Andreas DauererProject area: Burgas, Bulgaria
Supported by TDF since: 2012, in collaboration with “STOP dem Frauenhandel” (STOP trafficking in women)
Target group: disadvantaged girls in the Roma neighbourhoods
- Not only in Burgas, the Roma community suffers hostility, which leads to social exclusion and precarious living conditions, and drives them into unemployment and poverty.
- For girls, the most common cause for dropping out of school is early (forced) marriage, sometimes at an age of 13 years, leading to permanent disadvantages in education.
- Girls and parents are exposed to the risk of being lured by false promises of easy money made by international trafficking networks, which force them into cheap labour or prostitution abroad.
- In Germany, according to the Bundeskriminalamt (German Federal Criminal Police Office), 16% of the victims of “Human trafficking for the purpose of sexual exploitation” in 2014 came from Bulgaria. In 2015, it was already 17.1%.
The FLORIKA project aims at preventing trafficking in women. Girls aged between 9 and 15 years are given pedagogical support at the day care centre of the Roma-Union in the Roma neighbourhood Pobeda in Burgas. Social education workers offer homework assistance, sewing and cooking classes, dancing workshops and other group activities, providing them with an individual support. The Roma-Union also sensitizes parents.
Some additional activities are:
- Public information campaigns against trafficking in women, and close collaboration with the local government.
- Street work to win the parents’ confidence. Many could already be convinced that education is vital to their daughters’ futures.
- Group discussions about early and forced marriage, role models, children’s rights, different occupations, love, friendship etc.
- Excursions and performances to strengthen their self-confidence and to act against the exclusion of Roma-girls.
- Regular participation and positive feedback of the girls. The individual support by the social education workers has strengthened their self-confidence and supported them in their personal development.
- Up to now, none of the participants of FLORIKA dropped out of school and none of the girls has been forced to marry or trafficked into prostitution.
Project leader: Roma-Union Burgas
Voluntary project coordinator Juliane von Krause (firstname.lastname@example.org)
or TERRE DES FEMMES – International Cooperation (email@example.com)
Your support is needed for:
- food, materials and excursions.
- information campaigns against trafficking in women and child marriage.
- the maintenance of the day care centre.
- the remuneration of the social education workers and pedagogical staff.
Support FLORIKA with a one-time donation or contribute regularly and become a sponsor!
You can also donate to the following account, using the keyword “Bulgaria” as a reference for your payment:
TERRE DES FEMMES e.V.
IBAN DE35 8309 4495 0103 1160 00